Monday, April 28, 2008

I hope she is fine

After watching IPLT20 matches at Tendulkar's I came back to my hostel room in St. Xavier's at 11:30pm to find that a) the room was locked & b) I didn't have the keys. I tried calling my roommate but he won't pick up. After several attempts at that I thought I'll do what I always wanted to... walk to marine drive and sit there for a while. I knew I had time for that as entry to the hostel closes on weekends only at 01:25am. I walked along the fashion street and passed Churchgate to reach marine-drive in some 20-25 minutes. I looked for a gap to sit and made myself comfortable there. It’s awesome. The cool breeze never stops. The waves keep coming and breaking on the rocks and those concrete tetrahedrish structures. I thanked my room-mate for being late. By that time I couldn't help notice that there was a girl sitting to my left, about 10 feet away, alone. Now this is something I had never seen before on the marine drive. You see couples; you see groups. You even see some men sitting there alone. But I had never seen a girl sitting alone. And she didn't seem happy. I took a short glance at her. She was uncomfortable. She would cover her face in the dupatta while looking at the sea. It seemed to me if she was trying not to cry. Anyway, none of my business...
.
Soon I could hear sobs. I wasn't mistaken. She was crying. I turned my head again, pretended to look at something else and turned back. Yes, she was crying. Now my head was in action. What could it be? Maybe she got stood up. Or worse still, she got dumped! Why do people even fall into all this? Why do people trust someone so much and give them so much importance that they could hurt you? I have seen in movies when people see total strangers in trouble or grief and reach out to help. Or they see someone crying and ask if they could help someway. I was in no mood for doing that. As I said… none of my business. Still, in my head I was reciting some lines which could suit the occasion. "Can I help you in some way?" "Excuse me, do you have a problem?" "Why are you crying?" "Excuse me sir!" This line, the last one, I didn't come up with that. I turned my head towards her, she was talking to me. "Excuse me sir", she said again, "Is it OK if I come and sit near you?" She was still in tears. She was too scared. I could guess why she could have said that. There was a guy sitting to her left, and he seemed to be looking at her continuously. But I wasn't 100% sure. However at that moment, I couldn't think of any other answer than no. She took her bag, her sandals, came and sat near me, still crying. Then she said. "That guy over there is looking at me and making some signals." So I was right. I peeked over her and saw that man. He was sitting there facing us, instead of the sea and looked at him for some time. He was now looking away. "Sir, I am very nervous, he is looking at me and making some signals like this." I wasn't sure about what hand signals she made, or were they even anything. I just said, "You don't have to look that side" Anyway in a minute that man walked away. I asked her if she has some problem to which she said "No sir, sometimes I get nervous". She didn't get the question it seems and said some other random things I don't remember. I also told her to go home and asked what she was doing here at that time. She said, ”kisi ka intezar". “How typical”, I said to myself and thought maybe I was right in the guesses I was making earlier. "Thank you sir", "Sir I am sorry I disturbed you." She repeated the sorry line so many times I stopped saying anything to that anymore. After a couple of minutes she took her belongings and moved away to where she was sitting before.
.
Soon she asked me what the time was. "12:35", I said. "Sir, where do you have to go?" "VT", I said. "Sir, mujhe churchgate tak chhor doge", "Aaiye", I said. We were now walking towards churchgate station and she was talking things which were not interesting me and kind of confusing me about her situation, until something reminded her of that man again and she started sobbing. A lady coming from the opposite side saw her and gave me a disgusted look. I asked her not to cry and that she shouldn’t talk or think about that. She asked me where I was supposed to go and I partially told her my situation. She suddenly got excited and said "Sir! Then you can sit with me at the station as long as you have to". "No, it’s ok, I'll leave now" I said. "No sir, I don't have any problem, you can sit with me here." I said no again making it clear this time that I would be late otherwise. "Koi baat nahi sir. aapko jana hai to jao. mujhe to wait karna hoga subah tak, Virar ki train tabhi milegi. but thik hai, station par police rahti hai. light rahta hai. I hope didi mil jayegi abhi." "Kaun didi?" I asked, "koi police wali?" "No", she said, "wo yaha rahti hai." I didn't get her but also didn’t want to inquire any further. We were at the church gate now and she took a turn and started walking into the station, perhaps not knowing that I wasn’t walking with her anymore. She doesn’t need me now and I have to leave anyway. I stood there and watched her disappear in the crowds and started my walk back to the hostel. I narrated the incident to someone when I came back. “So filmy!”, I was told. Filmy… slightly yes, after all, fiction comes from the real.

12 comments:

Vivek Malewar said...

Tum to literally bhag gaye ! :)
I think I would have done the same - help, but to a reasonable extent

Voice said...

and for sometime our littlo was a MAN :)

Anonymous said...

kya baat hai rohit...mumbai aake filmi encounters?? keep it up ;-) so what is the score now? 1-1??

Rohit Anand said...

@vivek
know what, there were other doubts in my mind then, wasn't sure what really is going on.
@voice
please, this is public blog, meri izzat ka kuchh to...
@anon
i think you do this all the time, anon comments. anyway i am not sure how to judge the incident, so will keep it away from scoring.

Anonymous said...

Rohit.. i am sad

dekh duniya me bahut kuch galat hai sahi hai... kabhi watt bhi lagegi kabhi achha bhi hoga.. but yeh sab tabhi hoga when u do things as per the situation
..

i m not sure what u did was right or wrng... yet if u wd have gone with the moment i wd have appreciated..

wat u did was safe...

Avinash

Kartheek Kanumuru said...

That was nice one to read thru.. Lets call it "The One with the Strange Girl"

Let us keep inspiring each other for more blogs

Winnie the poohi said...

u make me miss mumbai now!
:)

What's in a name ? said...

That reminds of another incident whic h happenned with me while I was returning back from the alumni night, would write that in the blog ,any ways its many days I posted something

Rohit Anand said...

@avinash
i did go with the moment. disregard everything and just let the girl be in the story, i am sure you wouldn't have wanted to stay back long.
@kanumuru
i know you were watching a lot of F.R.I.E.N.D.S during your summers.
@wtp
hi, is it about just this post???
@mithun
jaldi likh

saurabh said...

interesting..
I m sure ki agar hum waha baithe hote to wo larki mere paas to nahi hi aati..

Anonymous said...

Good words.

Ninja said...

hmmm... i suppose the muuchhe gave her a sense of comfort u would say? ;)